CAIRO (AP) — Sudanese prosecutors say the country’s ruling generals did not order the deadly break-up of a protest camp last month.
Prosecutor Fathel-Rahman Said announced that eight officers from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces had exceeded their orders when they led RSF troops to clear a pro-democracy sit-in on June 3 in the capital, Khartoum. He said security forces were told to clear a lawless area close to the sit-in, not to raze the protest camp.
Said, who heads a committee investigating the dispersal, said on Saturday that the officers, including a major general, have been accused of crimes against humanity.
The prosecutor said a week-long crackdown in Khartoum killed at least 87 people, including 17 inside the sit-in area. He said the investigation found there were no rapes during the break-up.