Five people were displaced after a house fire broke out in Atascadero Thursday morning.
It started around 6:15 a.m. on the 9400 block of Santa Lucia, according to Bill White with Atascadero Fire and Emergency Services.
White says the property owner woke up to a rumble, smelled smoke and called 911.
When Firefighters arrived, they say smoke was filling the home and they found flames, which they were able to put out quickly, on the bottom floor of the split-level house.
A tree appears to have hit the service drop to the home, taking out the power lines, fire officials say.
The two adults and three children inside were able to get out safely but have been displaced and the home red tagged.
"Because it's a split-level house and the fire started down below, it acts like a chimney, so all the heat and the smoke goes up and so every part of the house has been affected by the fire,” White said.
He reminds people to check their smoke detectors regularly to make sure they are working properly.