Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson will honor the women first responders from Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties as the 2018 women of the year.
They will be recognized in two ceremonies April 20 and April 27.
“These courageous women were critical to our emergency response efforts during the devastating Thomas Fire last year,” said Jackson. “They worked tirelessly fighting fires, as well as keeping our communities safe and informed. While our male first responders deserve recognition as well, these women should be highlighted for their leadership, bravery and hard work in professions still largely dominated by men.”
The Santa Barbara reception will be April 20. The honorees are:
- Dr. Charity Dean, Santa Barbara County Public Health Officer
- Suzanne Grimmesey, Chief Quality Care and Strategy Officer
- Maeve Juarez, Wildland Fire Specialist
- Lori Luhnow, Police Chief
- Cris McCarty, Santa Barbara County Fire Captain
- Mona Miyasato, Santa Barbara County Executive Officer
- Cindy Pontes, California Highway Patrol Captain
- Susan Salcido, County Superintendent of Schools