Days before Lightning in a Bottle returns to Lake San Antonio, the family of a 20-year-old woman who died after attending the music and arts festival last year is suing the event’s promoter.
City News Service says the lawsuit alleges Baylee Gatlin didn’t receive proper medical attention for hours after she became ill from possible drug use at the festival in Monterey County.
The complaint alleges that the festival didn’t have qualified medical personnel on site.
‘The promoter, Do Lab, is named as the primary defendant. The company didn’t immediately respond to an email from the Associated Press seeking comment.
The suit also names a medical contractor.
Dr. Gary Walter, a coroner formerly contracted by the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office, originally said Gatlin died from "LSD toxicity."
After weeks of scrutiny, Dr. Walter issued a clarification regarding the autopsy results and the sheriff’s office announced a new cause of death.
Dr. Walter is no longer employed by the sheriff’s office, which hired forensic pathologist Dr. Joye M. Carter.
Lightning in a Bottle runs May 23-28 at the lake in Bradley.
- Lightning in a Bottle music festival: When the crowd heads home, avoid these roads
- Sheriff’s office: New cause of death for woman said to have died from LSD after music festival
- Experts warn of fairly new drug that mimics LSD
- Coroner: Lightning in a Bottle attendee died of accidental overdose
- Cause of death "inconclusive" for Lightning in a Bottle attendee
- Woman dies after medical emergency at Lightning in a Bottle music festival