The suspect in the murder of San Luis Obispo woman Kristen Marti made his first court appearance Monday since being extradited from Minnesota.
San Luis Obispo County Superior Court Judge Ginger Garret read the official charges against Robert Koehler, 36, which include murder and special allegations that the killing was pre-meditated and a deadly weapon was used.
The Arroyo Grande man, who appeared emotionless during the hearing, was appointed a public defender.
Judge Garrett suggested that he remain in custody without bail, but said that will be up for discussion again Tuesday during his continued arraignment.
San Luis Obispo police announced in April that Koehler was a person-of-interest in the death investigation of Marti, 26.
Marti was reported missing on January 18 and was last seen alive in Prefumo Canyon on January 9. Her body was found March 25.
Koehler was arrested Wednesday, May 16, in Rogers, Minnesota. He and his wife were at a truck stop off Interstate 94. Investigators believe the couple were on their way to Michigan where Koehler’s wife has family.
Koehler waived extradition in May, according to San Luis Obispo County Assistant District Attorney Eric Dobroth. Jail logs show he was booked into jail in SLO County the evening of May 31.
If convicted, Koehler faces life behind bars.
Robert Koehler during his June 4 arraignment
- Man accused of killing Kristen Marti extradited to San Luis Obispo
- Arrest made in Kristen Marti homicide investigation
- Police investigating person of interest Robert Koehler in Kristen Marti case
- Police release identity of person of interest in Kristen Marti murder
- Police seek information about vehicle in connection with SLO woman’s death
- Body found in Prefumo Canyon identified as missing SLO woman
- Autopsy on body found during Prefumo Canyon search complete; ID not yet released
- Search of Prefumo Canyon leads to discovery of body, police say
- Investigators search Prefumo Canyon for missing SLO woman
- Authorities to conduct county-wide search for woman missing since January from SLO
- SLOPD: Have you seen Kristen Marti? She’s still missing
- Police ask for public’s help to find missing person at-risk: Kristen Marti