San Luis Obispo City Fire responded to a vegetation fire behind the Courtyard Marriot in San Luis Obispo at approximately 1:45 a.m.
Officials say one man was trying to transfer propane from one bottle to another larger bottle when a vapor cloud formed. Slo City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Bisson says this is very dangerous without the right equipment.
The propane leaked into the encampment, sparking the fire. The transient was sent to Sierra Vista hospital after he suffered second and third degree burns.
The fire burned about 1,000 square feet of brush. SLO City Fire, with assistance from CAL Fire were able to knock it down within 30 minutes.