Sheriff: Man shot after concert tickets argument

Posted at 4:13 AM, Sep 03, 2018
and last updated 2018-09-03 07:13:03-04

SAN DIEGO (AP) – The Latest on a sheriff’s deputy who shot a man who fired his weapon at a horse-racing track (all times local):
10:10 p.m.
The San Diego Sheriff’s Department says a man who was told no more tickets were available to an Ice Cube concert at a racetrack was shot by a sheriff’s deputy after he fired his gun into a crowd.
The department says in a news release that the man, whose name and age were not given, came to the ticket window at the Del Mar Fairgrounds about 6:40 p.m.
Shortly after he was told there were no more tickets, an argument ensued and nearby deputies came to the scene. The department says the man pulled out a silver-plated semi-automatic handgun and fired several shots into an area crowded with people. The deputies shot him.
The department says the man was taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. His condition has not been released.
The department says it appears no one else was injured
9:47 p.m.
A sheriff’s deputy shot a man who reportedly fired his weapon into the air Sunday evening at a horse-racing track, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
The shooting at the Del Mar racetrack took place as a concert by the rapper Ice Cube was scheduled to start soon.
The man who was shot was taken to a nearby hospital, but his condition is unknown, the newspaper reported.
A video of the shooting that was posted on Twitter records the sounds of several shots being fired before a man falls to the ground. Two deputies appear to holster their guns as one shouts at a gathering crowd to "get back, get back, get back." Passing concert-goers can be heard shouting expletives after the shooting.
In a broadcast of the track’s final race of the day that was posted on Twitter, an announcer can be heard saying, "There’s gunfire at the track," as horses move along the turf course, the Union-Tribune reported.
Sheriff’s officials could not immediately be reached by The Associated Press about the shooting.
At 7:22 p.m., the Del Mar Racetrack tweeted that the "situation has been contained" and said the concert "is moving forward as planned."
Associated Press writer Michael Balsamo contributed.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)