City officials in Pismo Beach announced on Friday the cancellation of various beach programs and recreation classes to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community.
According to a press release sent to KSBY News, Pismo Beach is canceling the following events:
- Fourth of July Fireworks Show
- Junior Lifeguard Beach Program
- Recreation Classes over 10 participants through May
- Recreation Classes over 50 participants through June
- Private City-Owned Facility Rentals through May
- Private City-Owned Facility Rentals over 10 participants through June
City officials say the Memorial Day Ceremony, which is typically held at the Pismo Beach Pier Plaza, has been modified to be streamed virtually at 10 a.m. on May 25 through the city's YouTube and Facebook accounts. Spectrum customers can also view the ceremony on the city's local Public Access Cable, Channel 20.
“The events and classes that had to be canceled could not be modified to meet the guidelines and parameters in the shelter at home orders, even when factoring the best case scenario for the reopening plan,” said City Manager Jim Lewis in the press release.
To learn more about Pismo Beach's response to the COVID-19 outbreak, click here.