With the holiday season upon us, police say you can expect front porch package thefts to increase.
Just this week, an Arroyo Grande man shared video of a porch pirate who he says stole hundreds of dollars worth of packages from in front of his house.
It happened Tuesday at a home on the corner of Halcyon Road and The Pike.
The resident’s Ring security cameras captured two different views of the incident:
If you recognize the man in this video or his car, you’re urged to contact the Arroyo Grande Police Department at (805) 473-5110.
Authorities offer the following tips to avoid becoming a victim of package theft:
- Request tracking and delivery alerts when ordering online.
- Choose a shipping option that requires you to sign for delivery.
- Arrange to have the package shipped to another location, such as your workplace or a friend or relative who will be home.
- Let your neighbors know when a delivery is expected so they can be on the lookout for the package, as well.
- Bring packages indoors quickly to limit exposure to thieves.
- Ask the delivery service to hold the package for customer pick-up at their facility.
- Install home security cameras.
- Sign up for the USPS Informed Delivery service, which allows you to see what’s coming to your mailbox via email, website or app.