The California Highway Patrol conducted a pedestrian safety enforcement operation at Joe Nightingale Elementary School in Orcutt to focus on motorists and pedestrians who do not yield the right-of-way or take unsafe and illegal actions.
The operation, conducted Wednesday, resulted in four citations, one warning, and one vehicle towed because of an unlicensed driver.
The California Highway Patrol strongly encourages members of the community to follow basic safety practices:
- Drivers should be on the lookout for and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
- Drivers should slow down in areas where pedestrians are likely to be
- Never pass a car that is stopped for pedestrians
- Wherever possible, pedestrians should cross at the corner, at crosswalks, or intersections
- Pedestrians should look both ways for traffic before crossing roads
The funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.