A number of residential burglaries this past week have the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department reminding people important safety tips.
“In two of the homes, the burglars forced entry, ransacked the home, and stole cash, jewelry, and other valuables,” the press release stated. “During one of the burglaries the suspects entered the residence through an unlocked sliding glass door. The resident was home during that crime and the burglars made off with several thousand dollars’ worth of jewelry. The residences are in the unincorporated area of Santa Barbara County in the community of Hope Ranch and the San Marcos Pass Road area.”
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department would like to remind everyone of some important safety tips to keep you and your home safer from criminals:
- Make your home difficult to break in by locking all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed.
- Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers and vary the times when they go on and off.
- Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to pick them up.
- Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
- Sliding glass doors are especially vulnerable. Special locks are available for enhanced security. Check with a locksmith or hardware store for alternatives.