NewsLocal News


UPDATE: Soda Fire 100% contained, cause determined

Posted at 2:00 PM, Jun 10, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-11 23:52:15-04

UPDATE: (8:48 p.m.) - The Soda Fire in California Valley has now been 100-percent contained at 1,672 acres.


UPDATE (10:45 a.m.) - The Soda Fire in California Valley has grown to 1,672 acres and is 80% contained.

The fire was caused by a trailer losing a tire while being pulled on Highway 58 near Soda Lake Road.

Cal Fire said several out buildings were destroyed by the fire. No damage was done to Topaz Solar Farm.

Five engines will be on scene throughout the day to work on containment.

The Camp SLO prescribed burn that was scheduled for Thursday is postponed to Friday because resources are being sent to the Soda Fire.


UPDATE (5:16 p.m.) - Forward progress of the Soda Fire is stopped. The fire has burned about 1,150 acres and is 50% contained. Crews will be on scene overnight. The cause of the fire is under investigation.


UPDATE (3:55 p.m.) - The Soda Fire is split into two branches. Branch I is maintaining its size of 4 acres and threatening two structures. Branch II is the original fire. It remains 500 acres in size.

Progress is being made toward containment of both fires. Winds are picking up.


UPDATE (3:05 p.m.) - The fire is now approximately 500 acres. It is still spreading at a moderate rate. Air crews diverted to another fire in the area that is considered a branch of the Soda Fire.

The second fire is 4 acres and burning at a slow rate of spread. Officials say it has the potential to grow to 50 acres.

Two structures are threatened south of the first fire.


UPDATE (2:28 p.m.) - Additional resource are on scene and working to contain the Soda Fire.


UPDATE (2:11 p.m.) - The Soda Fire has now burned approximately 50 acres. It is still spreading at a moderate rate. Additional resources are on the way.


Cal Fire SLO is responding to a grass fire near Highway 58 and Soda Lake Road in the California Valley.

The fire had burned about 20 acres as of 1:55 p.m.

Reports came in around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. One engine initially responded to the fire. Additional equipment was arriving on scene around 1:50 p.m. to assist firefighters.

Air and ground crews are working to contain the flames. Officials say the fire has a moderate rate of spread with the potential to grow to 200 acres.

One structure is threatened. There are no reports of injuries.

This is a developing story. It will be updated as information becomes available.