The Five Cities Fire Authority says firefighters responded to a structure fire at a multi-family apartment building in Grover Beach Saturday evening.
According to authorities, the department got reports of a smoke alarm around 5:20 p.m.
Fire officials say neighbors smelled smoke and heard fire alarms. When crews arrived to the 1300 block of Atlantic City Ave., they found food unattended on the stove.
In a tweet, officials say the fire was likely caused by burning food.
FCFA dispatched to a multi-family (apartment building) structure fire on Atlantic City Avenue in Grover Beach. Burning food on the stove. Please be present in the kitchen when cooking. This could have been catastrophic. #5citiesfire pic.twitter.com/wBSh1iw265— Five Cities Fire (@5CitiesFirePIO) December 1, 2019