The Rotary Club of Five Cities-Pismo Beach kicked off its Winter Coat and Sock Drive Sunday for community members experiencing homelessness.
Club members said they are accepting gently used and clean winter coats, scarves, gloves and new socks at the following drop-off locations with Rotary boxes between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.:
- Clark Center for the Performing Arts (487 Fair Oaks Avenue, Arroyo Grande, CA)
- Astro Financial and Insurance Services (136 Bridge Street, Suite A, Arroyo Grande, CA)
- Kizanis & Liscombe, EAs Inc. (1108 East Grand Avenue, Arroyo Grande, CA)
- Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic (990 Price Street, Pismo Beach, CA)
- 309 East Cherry Avenue, Arroyo Grande, CA
- 531 May Street, Arroyo Grande, CA
- 241 Elaine Way, Pismo Beach, CA
- 1655 Waterview Place, Nipomo, CA
Organizers said all clothing items will be donated to the 5Cities Homeless Coalition.
The Rotary Club of Five Cities-Pismo Beach has partnered with Arroyo Grande High School's Interact Club to collect donations.
Natalie Hurtado, president of the Interact Club, said she enjoys volunteering and helping out the local community.
"I love helping people. It's where I get joy. We're just there to help anybody who needs it," said Hurtado.
Sharon Ellis, community services director for the Rotary Club of Five Cities-Pismo Beach, said the demand for winter clothing for the homeless community has increased during the coronavirus pandemic.
"We thought this would be a good project in light of what's going on, and there's definitely a need for winter clothes," said Ellis.
Curbside pickup is another option for people interested in donating. To schedule a date and time for curbside pickup, call Sally King at 559-281-9302 or Margie Salame at 805-931-4229.
The clothing drive will last through November 22.