A San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s deputy testified Monday he was concerned for his safety while investigating a shooting that injured six people at the Oceano Dunes earlier this year.
The statement was made during day one of the preliminary hearing in San Luis Obispo County Superior Court for Francisco Orozco, 19, of Oakland. He’s charged with one count of attempted murder, as well as five counts of assault with a semi-automatic handgun and four enhancements for personally inflicting great bodily injury in connection with the May 5 shooting. He has pleaded not guilty.
The shots reportedly rang out at a large gathering at the south end of the dunes where people were attending a concert.
In court Monday morning, Deputy Ian McFarland was the first witness called to the stand. He testified that when he first arrived at the scene, there was still concern the shooter was in the area.
Orozco was reportedly seen while McFarland was walking along a line of trailers during the beginning phases of his investigation.
The detective testified he was surprised to see someone in that area and after confronting Orozco, the now-suspect made his way over to two other men.
Orozco was not acting aggressively, according to McFarland, who says that after he heard what sounded like a gun being loaded and saw Orozco walking away, he did not want to go after the teen believing it could have led to another shooting.
He said he never saw a gun in Orozco’s hand.
No arrests had been made at that point, but jail logs show Orozco was booked into jail that afternoon.
Testimony in the case was expected to continue Monday afternoon and State Parks officials were expected to be called to the stand Tuesday morning.
Orozco remains behind bars at San Luis Obispo County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail.
Orozco’s attorney was not immediately available for comment Monday.