NewsLocal News


UPDATE: Lockdown lifted at Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center in San Luis Obispo, patient taken into custody

Posted at 9:03 AM, Jan 08, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-09 01:09:19-05

UPDATE (6:05 p.m.) - The San Luis Obispo Police Department has identified the person who was arrested at Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center on Friday as Daniel Marcom, a 51-year-old transient from San Luis Obispo.

Police say Marcom became angry with another patient with whom he was sharing a room, brandished a knife, and threatened him. Police say he also threatened the doctor that was treating him and uttered racial epithets at both victims.

Marcom was arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats and brandishing a knife. He is in custody at the San Luis Obispo County Jail with bail set at $50,000.

Police say Marcom has had hundreds of contacts with the San Luis Obispo Police Department related to alcohol use, trespassing, and mental health calls dating back to 2004. Police say he is listed as an "officer safety risk" for threatening officers during an incident in 2010.

UPDATE (10:30 a.m.) - San Luis Obispo police say a patient from Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center is in custody following a lockdown at the hospital Friday morning.

At around 8:45 a.m. police responded to the hospital due to reports of a patient becoming threatening and yielding a knife.

The hospital was placed under lockdown in order to ensure safety for everyone in the area.

Upon arrival, officers were able to quickly take control of the situation and place the male patient into custody.

Police say no one was injured and the lockdown was lifted within 30 minutes.

The hospital is now safe and secure.

UPDATE (9:20 a.m.) - A lockdown put in place at Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center in San Luis Obispo has been lifted.

The lockdown was in place for approximately 30 minutes.

The reason behind the lockdown is still unknown at this time. Check back for updates.

(9:03 a.m.) - Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center in San Luis Obispo has been placed on lockdown Friday morning.

San Luis Obispo police are responding to the hospital, located on Murray Avenue. The lockdown was put into place shortly after 8:45 a.m.

KSBY has reached out to the police to determine the reason behind the lockdown and has not heard back.

A news crew is heading to the scene, this story will be updated when new information becomes available.