The U.S. Census Bureau is hosting an event to recruit San Luis Obispo County residents for temporary jobs ahead of the 2020 Census.
The event will be held from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 9, in rooms 161 and 162 of the San Luis Obispo County Government Center, located at 1055 Monterey St. in San Luis Obispo.
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have a valid email address
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959
- Pass a Census-performed criminal background check and a review of criminal records, including fingerprinting
- Commit to completing training
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and/or weekends
Census takers make about $18.50 an hour and work about 25 hours per week.
To check out the other types of jobs available with the U.S. Census Bureau, visit www.2020census.gov/jobs.
The Census Bureau will begin mailing out census forms in the spring and census takers will be out knocking on doors during the early summer.
Officials say participating in the census is important because it helps determine voting district lines, representation in Congress, and how much federal funding a community needs.
For more information about the San Luis Obispo recruitment event, click here.