NewsCalifornia News


California governor signs law extending eviction protections

California Eviction Protections
Posted at 12:13 PM, Jan 29, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-29 15:13:31-05

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed a law that extends eviction protections through the end of June.

Newsom signed the law on Friday, one day after it was approved by the state Legislature.

Last year, Newsom signed a law that banned evictions for unpaid rent for tenants who paid at least 25% of their rent owed after Sept. 1.

The law Newsom signed Friday extends those protections through June 30.

The law will also use federal stimulus dollars to pay off 80% of some tenants' unpaid rent, but only if landlords agree to forgive the remaining 20%.