NewsLocal News

Actions

Montecito debris flow nets could be installed next week

Posted at 7:15 PM, Apr 30, 2019

Progress is being made in the hills above Montecito to install stainless steel nets designed to stop potential debris flows into the town.

The Partnership for Resilient Communities has been raising funds for the $5.2 million project.

Two crews are filling anchors this week, something that needs to be done before the nets, which are designed to stop rocks and debris in the event of a major mudslide, can be installed.

Helicopters are being used to carry some of the supplies into the remote area.

They first started in the San Ysidro Canyon before moving onto Cold Springs Canyon.

Partnership for Resilient Communities Executive Direct Pat McElroy says they hope to install the first net early next week.

Roughly $4.3 million has been raised so far, enough to install four of the six nets already purchased.

The group says the project started because residents wanted to do something to prevent future devastation following the deadly Montecito debris flow on Jan. 9, 2018.

Twenty-three people were killed in the mudslide. Two of the victims, both children, are still missing.

Photo: Paul Wellman/Santa Barbara Independent
Photo: Paul Wellman/Santa Barbara Independent